Linda Hochstetler, MSW, RSW
Spiritual Counselling & Coaching, Individual or Couples Counselling, Mindfulness Meditation, Death and Dying
• 20+ Years Counselling Experience
• University of Toronto, Master of Social Work (MSW), 1993
• Registered Social Worker (RSW) with Ontario College of Social
Workers and Social Services Workers (OCSWSSW) - 807353
• Individual or Couples Counselling: $120 for 1 hour, $180 for 1.5 hours
• Family Counselling or Consulting: $150 for 1 hour, $225 for 1.5 hours
• In your home: $300 for 2 hours
• Workshops: $25 for 2 hours
*** Discount through VHC website: give VHC code when booking first appointment and pay only $100/hour for individuals and couples or $120/hr for families
Accepted Payment Methods: Cash, Cheque, Mastercard, Visa, American Express, etransfer.
Note: Many insurance plans cover these services under psychological services with a registered social worker.
Duration: Short to medium-term, usually only 3-10 sessions spread out over several months, depending on the issue.
Modality: Generally in person, but also available for telephone or video (Skype, FaceTime, or Google+).
I have extensive experience working with people dealing with depression and anxiety, as well as other mental health issues. I have worked in both community and employee assistance programs, and I provided therapy myself, but also supervised other therapists. I have worked with persons with a wide range of issues, ages, and cultures. I currently work full time in private practice delivering services in both private homes and in an office at the Village Healing Centre.
More recently, I have been specializing in end of life issues related to death, dying, and loss. I host Death Cafes (www.deathcafe.com) and encourage everyone to talk more openly about their inevitable deaths. I am a Buddhist Lay Chaplain as well as a social worker. I have been volunteering at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre with individuals and families facing cancer issues and as a Resident and Family Care Provider at Kensington Hospice for persons in their final weeks and months of life. I have completed studies in Thanatology and Palliative Care, and am involved with setting up the Buddhist Education Network of Ontario for Buddhist palliative care.
I am an experienced counsellor who likes dealing with individuals, couples, and families. I have helped persons of all ages, from children to adolescents to adults to seniors. I combine many short-term methodologies, like Solution-Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behaviourial Therapy, Mindfulness Therapy, and Narrative Therapy, but take the mumble-jumble out and really just focus on positive conversations that bring insight and inspiration for personal change.
I like to help people with change and transition, which really covers just about everything in our daily lives. Examples of this is:
• helping children become healthier teens
• navigating separation and divorce for children and adults, as well as step-parenting and blended families
• coping with job loss and moving on
• maintaining intimacy in relationships as families change
• regaining balance after a major traumatic event
• learning Mindfulness Meditation to face fears and challenges
• choosing healthy lifestyle habits and maintaining them
• starting a mindfulness meditation practice to handle daily stress
• preparing for retirement and then implementing these plans
• facing death and dying with dignity and curiosity
I Have Been Told by Others…
I am a strong motivator with excellent problem solving skills, and I help instill hope for change in others. I create a non-judgmental space for having conversations about what may be difficult topics for you. I welcome ambiguity and conflicting emotional states, and embrace them as normal responses to complex and important questions. I am a sought-after couples counsellor and am told that I help couples learn to speak honestly with themselves and each other, and learn to compromise in new ways that moves their relationship forward and help them get unstuck.
My Goal for You…
I hope you can reach your potential in life, and I want to be a part your journey. Relationships are hard and it’s ok to ask for help to better understand yourself and your needs, and to learn how to communicate with others around their needs as well. I believe I can help you make your life more satisfying. I want to help you deepen your relationships and live more fully.
*Not accepting new clients January 1-Decmber 31, 2017.